Upcoming Book to Movie Adaptations

Tuesday 5 August 2014

2014 seems to be the year of book to movie adaptations, we've already seen the likes of 'The Fault in our Stars', 'Divergent' and 'Vampire Academy'. Some were great, some not so much and some sitting somewhere in the middle. So what's coming up next? 

The Giver


Release Date: August 15th 2014
Director: Phillip Noyce
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Brenton Thwaites, Meryl Streep

Admittedly I've never read this book before, although it was published in 1993 by Lois Lowry (which has given me my whole lifetime to read it). From some brief research I have been made aware that there has been some changes made, namely the main character; Jonas' age (rather like other adaptations such as Percy Jackson, though I don't like to think about that movie too much). But as I don't have any emotional connection to the book things like this don't bother me. The trailer does entice me into seeing the film and perhaps reading the book, in fact it does look like a fairly well made film but I think for this one I will be seeing the film before I read the book.

If I Stay


Release Date: August 22nd 2014
Director: R.J Cutler
Starring: Chloe Grace Moretz, Mireille Enos, Joshua Leonard

If I Stay was one of those rare contemporary, young adult books that didn't feel cheesy or clichéd. I loved the way it was structured to pull us in deeper and deeper as it went on. I don't share the same positive sentiment for the film. From the trailer is does not seem like they will be following the structure of the book (riddled with time jumps and flashbacks) perhaps this would not work so well on film, but I feel like the story will lose all of its magic if it is not done that way. The tone of the trailer does not seem to match the book, and quite honestly I'm not a massive fan of Chloe Grace Moretz. I'll probably watch this but I'm not looking forward to it with any great expectations. 

The Maze Runner


Release Date: September 19th 2014
Director: Wes Ball
Starring: Dylan O'Brien, Kaya Scodelario, Will Poulter

This is one adaptation that I am very excited and anxious to see. Like most of my ventures into young adult fiction I read this because I heard of the film being made with Dylan O'Brien as the main character (I'm a massive fan of his). And pretty soon I had read the whole trilogy and was hooked completely. Like all adaptations of my favourites I've learnt not to get my hopes up too high, so I'm holding off singing the film's praises until I've seen it. But the one thing that does make me confident that this was made with good intentions is the director's passion and commitment to the film, which is evident in interviews.

Gone Girl


Release Date: October 3rd 2014
Director: David Fincher
Starring: Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris

I've come close to buying this book several times but never felt utterly compelled to. It has great reviews and several people have told me to read it. In fact I wasn't actually aware there was going to be a film adaptation until quite recently. The trailer is a little odd for me, perhaps intentionally, it doesn't give away too much of the story but maybe not in the best way for me. I'm sure a lot of people will be excited about this, and maybe if it gets great reviews and high praise I'll consider seeing it in the cinema. But as of now I don't have any intentions, though maybe giving the book a try is in order.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1


Release Date: November 21st 2014
Director: Francis Lawrence
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth

This is one film that I am allowing myself to get excited about. After the considerable improvement for The Hunger Games to Catching Fire I'm not particularly worried about this being a flop. Actually I am hoping it does make changes from the book (which is my least favourite in the series by a long way) to speed things and make it more exciting. I don't have a massive attachment to the series, it's not my favourite YA dystopian, but the second film did rekindle my love for a lot of the characters. Touch wood this film does not disappoint. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Tales of a Book Owl 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.